Re: [Amps] Current draw at 110 volts for SB-200 and SB-1000

To: "Gary Smith" <wa6fgi@sbcglobal.net>,"Martin J. Morgenbesser" <w7mjm@arrl.net>,"Amps List" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Current draw at 110 volts for SB-200 and SB-1000
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 00:01:11 -0800
I run my Drake L-7 off a 110V drop and it seems to do fine. I get about
1200 watts output with 100 watts of drive. Checking it just now, line
voltage drops from 117.7 to 111.7 VAC when I go key down with maximum
exciter drive (about 100 watts). There is a small, but perceptible dimming
of the lights in the shack and hallway (the circuit in the hallway drops
about
1.5 VAC when I key the amplifier). The shack is fed from a 20A breaker
which only pops occcasionally if I turn on the amplifier when the mode
switch is in the SSB position (presumeably the inrush current is higher in
this position). If I turn on the amplifier with the mode switch set to CW
(lower anode voltage), the circuit breaker never trips presumeably because
the inrush current is lower in this configuration. A 220 drop to the shack
is on the list, but so are many other things (the 220 service has only made
it as far as the garage so far). IMO, you can get away with it, but is not
optimal.