Re: [Amps] Current draw at 110 volts for SB-200 and SB-1000

To: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Current draw at 110 volts for SB-200 and SB-1000
From: "Steve Thompson" <g8gsq@ic24.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 20:25:55 -0000
Michael Tope wrote:
> Okay, I see what you are getting at Steve. That makes sense,
> and in fact I should be able to see it if I put an oscope on the
> line. Perhaps I will do that sometime. BTW, FWIW when I run
> the L-7 off my Honda EU2000i generator, there is very little
> change in the RMS line voltage from no load to load (much
> better regulation than off the 110V outlet in the shack). I should
> run the oscope on the Honda sometime to see how good the
> "true sine" waveform looks when its powering the amplifier.
> That should be interesting.
My snapshot does help explain why amps can be really dreadful when run from
'building yard' generators. A 'proper' alternator has dc in the field to
produce a sinewave output. If the field current holds up under load (as it
probably will with an electronic regulator) then you get a low impedance
source. Cheap gennys usually have the field fed from the output, via a
saturating inductor (or something similar), so the output waveform is far
from a sinewave; they're fine driving a motor but the source impedance is
high just when you need it to be low for a capacitor input psu.

I think I've probably laboured my point long enough now - capacitor input
psus have peak currents that are much larger than most people realise. Don't
get me started on the consequences of (I^2 x R) when you consider Ipk ....
:-)

Steve