Re: [Amps] Current draw at 110 volts for SB-200 and SB-1000

To: <AMPS@contesting.com>, "Martin J. Morgenbesser" <W7MJM@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Current draw at 110 volts for SB-200 and SB-1000
From: "Gary Smith" <wa6fgi@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 20:35:44 -0800
Good friend of mine Marion, KJ6DB, has my old 811H, sez it works so well he
forgets about it.  Amp is three or so years old, I had it wired on 220v, sent
it to him he returned the jumpers on the xfrmr input board to 117v, operates it
on 10 mtrs sees about 600 watts or so out, he drives it with an Icom 756, first
model.

 My .02 on this amp vs. say, the Heathkit: the SB-220 will operate 80 thru 10
(if it has the 10m mod kit in it) while the entire Ameritron line will operate
160 thru 15, warc bands included, 12/10 mtrs, owner modifiable.

To answer this question before you ask it , operating the SB-220 on 17/12
meters will strain the dickens out of the tank circuits with a severe loss of
power output. This is what I asked Jim Harbach the heathkit mods guy, I am
repeating what he told me.

I know I maybe accused of beating the Ameritron drum too hard,  but they are a
fairly modern design assembled with modern (read easily available) components
for the bands we have available to us at what I consider a more than fair price.

73 and so-forth,
Gary, WA6FGI

Oh how I wish for an new Alpha 99 and a Christmas tree full of neon bulbs so I
could light them up with no wires attached.

Later.