Re: [Amps] Class E amd and MRF492

To: wlfuqu00@uky.edu, ToddRoberts2001@aol.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Class E amd and MRF492
From: G3rzp@aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 10:24:56 EST

In a message dated 09/03/2005 14:14:18 GMT Standard Time, wlfuqu00@uky.edu
writes:

The  polar loop system is a variation of the DAF amplifier.

I think that there's a fundamental difference between the DAF and  polar
loop. The major one is that polar loop has a negative feedback mechanism,
while
the DAF runs open loop.

Now if you modulated the supply volts to the Class E amplifier in sympathy
with the envelope so that it was always hard switching, you should be able to
keep the efficiency up. It would give an interesting problem in doing a
suitable switching modulator - by rule of thumb, I'd expect it to need a
bandwidth
of around 30kHz and a switching frequency in the hundreds of kHz,  which
would be interesting EMC wise, too. Anything else and you'll lose  efiiceincy.

Perhaps a better approach might be to use two Class E stages in a  Callum
modulator

73

Peter G3RZP