Re: [Amps] [BULK] - DIN stands for....?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] [BULK] - DIN stands for....?
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 11:20:37 -0500
Mike,

Industrial connectors most used on equipment, including robotics, are either
Amp or Amphenol type round connectors. They're large in size but tough end easy
to use. The pins are either soldered or crimped on the wire outside the plug or
socket then inserted (on the AMP brand). There is a special cheap tool used to
extract the pins if need be. On Amphenol, you solder them on at the plug
similar to a din plug except these are 10X heavier built. Amp plugs have black
plastic high temp housings and Amphenol has a cast aluminum housing generally
in olive drab color for military use. The plastic insulator in Amphenol plugs
is a blue plastic. A round knockout punch of the right size is all that's
needed. You'll find these on a lot of US military communications equipment.
These are the toughest plug-socket assembleis I know of, and can take any
standard cable from type SO to microphone cable. They also have cable size
adapters and rubber tension relief boots. Several places sell them
 from Mouser to Allied.

Best,

Will