[Top] [All Lists]

Re: [Amps] IM distortion and such

Subject: Re: [Amps] IM distortion and such
From: "Will Matney" <>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 22:14:28 -0400
List-post: <>

I forgot about you being in the Bluegrass State. You would know well the laws 
there, and they are the same here in Ohio and in West Virginia. WV was the last 
state around close that allowed taking the test without a BSc. Now though, they 
require it. The way I see it, if one can pass the exams, they deserve to be 
able to do it if they have worked in an engineering environment for a few 
years. None will let this happen now though whether you know what your doing or 
not. Also, the online universities people take are not considered by most 
states as satisfying the college requirement.



*********** REPLY SEPARATOR  ***********

On 6/26/06 at 10:03 PM Bill L. Fuqua wrote:

>Every state you are requires to have an license to practice  engineering.
>Check your state's statutes. In them you will find a definition of
>engineering, license requirements, penalties for practicing without an
>license etc. And they are just as enforceable as the FCC regulations.  If
>someone reports you or your company for practicing engineering without a
>license the board will initiate an investigate, publish their findings 
>and take action if they find it to be necessary. Many companies only have
>one licensed engineer, the "Chief Engineer". There are certain exceptions
>to the license requirements and they may vary from state to state.  I had
>to become licensed when my employer informed me that I would be demoted if
>I did not.  Had to take the EIT and PE exams, have PEs provide letters of
>recommendation and proof of experience.  So there you have it. Many people
>operate under the radar. 
>Bill wa4lav
>-----Original Message-----
>From: "Michael Tope" <>
>To: <>, <>
>Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 15:44:38 -0700
>Subject: Re: [Amps] IM distortion and such
>----- Original Message ----- 
>From: "Will Matney" <>
>> Gary,
>> You would think being sued is the worst part. What if a disgruntled 
>> customer reported you to the state license board? You would then have a 
>> review about your engineering license. Here, they beileve the reporter 
>> more, and your guilty to them having to prove yourself innocent. If they 
>> pull your license, you can no longer be an engineer. If one even says
>> you can do this over a limit, and they see this, you could sure loose
>> slip of paper and your stamp. According to how bad it is, or what all
>> reporter said to them, it could be a temporary suspension all the way to
>> permenant. It's according to what you can prove. Then, I guess one could 
>> find a job as a draftsman or in sales. It's worse today too. People have 
>> gotten law suit crazy, and attorneys don't hold no punches back if they 
>> think there's extra money they can collect. Even if you fight all this 
>> succesfully, how much out of pocket expense did it cost you? Even though 
>> things can be done over the limit, I will har
>> dly ever tell someone to do something other than published standards. 
>> Heck, if you tell someone to build something some way, and it doesn't
>> out, you can be in trouble for doing engineering without a license! That 
>> is if someone is mad enough to report you. Another thing is if you've 
>> designed something to be used by another manufacturer. They will sue for 
>> down time if your product caused it. That can run into tons of money.
>> reason I know about this is I used to have to design and build full
>> mock ups or models of our equipment to be used in court cases. I've
>> some of the craziest stories about law suits that can be heard. It's a 
>> shame to say, but today, people will sue you at the drop of a hat.
>> Best,
>> Will
>Since when do you need a PE license to be an electronic design engineer?
>Only a handful of the design engineers that I have worked with over the
>years actually had a PE license.
>73, Mike W4EF........................................
>Amps mailing list

Amps mailing list

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>