Re: [Amps] IM distortion and such

To: "Kenneth D. Grimm K4XL" <kgrimm@adelphia.net>,g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk
Subject: Re: [Amps] IM distortion and such
From: Peter Chadwick <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 14:30:38 +0200 (CEST)
Ken said:
>As I recall, it was an attempt to fill a gap between the bigger and more
expensive Eimac offerings and the 811A offered by everyone.  Also, if I
remember correctly, it was specifically created as an amateur service
tube as was the 3-1000Z.  Interestingly enough, the 572B is still with
us, but the 3-1000Z, with its much more elegant structure, is long
gone. <

Ken, tnx for that. The 572B does seem a peculiar approach, though, because it
would have been quite easy at that stage to have used a structure that provided
a much shorter grid lead - the 826/832/829/7094 style construction, for
example. The 832 (or even 5894) style base can't have been that expensive by
the mid 1950's, considering the number that had been made by then. Looking
through the ARRL Handbook tube data as it changed year by year, it does seem
that the 572B appeared about the time of the 30L1, which,  so it is said,
appeared because an engineer at Collins who was a ham, built one for home use
as an experiment. And what happened to the 572 and the 572A - or did they ever
exist? Who made the 572B other than Cetron? What else did they make, and does
anyone know who they really were?
It's a bit frightening in a way, that things happened within the ham lifetime
of many of us, are almost lost in historical terms!
73
Peter G3RZP

Message Received: Jun 28 2006, 12:23 PM
From: "Kenneth D. Grimm, K4XL"
To: g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk
Cc: "Tom W8JI" , amps@contesting.com

Peter Chadwick wrote:
> (a bunch of technical stuff in reply to Tom snipped)
> Slightly off topic, I never understood where the 572B came from for linear
> service. It seemed to appear in the 1950's: I sort of assume as a bigger
> modulator tube, being a pair of 811A, but that seems a bit late in the day
> for a purely audio tube. If designed as an RF tube, it surely would have been
> given a better structure?
> 73
> Peter G3RZP
As I recall, it was an attempt to fill a gap between the bigger and more
expensive Eimac offerings and the 811A offered by everyone. Also, if I
remember correctly, it was specifically created as an amateur service
tube as was the 3-1000Z. Interestingly enough, the 572B is still with
us, but the 3-1000Z, with its much more elegant structure, is long
gone. Sometimes the engineers get it right, but the bean counters get
it righter. :-)

Ken K4XL
k4xl@arrl.net

*** BoatAnchor Manual Archive ***
On the web at http://bama.sbc.edu and http://bama.edebris.com
FTP site info: bama.sbc.edu login: anonymous p/w: youremailadr