Re: [Amps] 6 mtrs:

To: "Steve Katz" <stevek@jmr.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 6 mtrs:
From: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 15:20:08 -0400
  From: Steve Katz
  To: Nils Petter Pedersen ; amps@contesting.com ; jeremy-ca
  Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 12:32 PM

  I question the high output power also, having built many amps and owned a
number using 572Bs.  The pair of tubes are rated 320W dissipation and at 2.4 kV
should produce about 640W PEP output power.  To push them beyond this, I've
always found (in every circuit) it necessary to exceed the tube's grid current
rating, even with very heavy loading, and that can't be a good thing. -WB2WIK/6

  Absolutely untrue. When run at the maximum Ig listed in the manual is when
they are often at 750W or more. You may have used a few 572B's wheras Ive
converted hundreds as well as numerous regular HF customer repairs. Add in all
the other amps that use 572B's that have come thru here and the number goes up
more.

  The 6M performance has often had me wondering what a SB-200 stripped down to
a monoband 20M amp would do but Ive resisted the temptation.

  Carl

  KM1H