Re: [Amps] 8877 Grid Trip timing

To: "Rick Stealey" <rstealey@hotmail.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 8877 Grid Trip timing
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 11:28:29 -0400
<<seems like forever.  This time constant would mean that
momentary overcurrent
in the grid circuit would be tolerated.  Is this ok?  I am
considering lowering
the value of the cap or even eliminating it.  If I
eliminated it, then would
you think it would become annoying, tripping on little
spikes.  >>

Rick,

Why would anyone ever want the amp to NOT trip off on short
spikes?

What that is saying is if an antenna arcs or faults open, if
the exciter has transients that are overdriving the amp on
peaks, or if there is some other commonly reoccurring fault
it is acceptable and OK.

Let me tell you how this works in the real world. My
homebrew amps trip in less than 2mS of excessive grid
current. They also fault if the reflected power is more than
20% of forward power. Unless I pick the wrong antenna or
unless a connector fails or an antenna falls down, I NEVER
have a fault. Not ever.

What the fast trip buys me is I never ruin a bandswitch or
have any other kind of light loading fault in the PA when I
use those amps, and they NEVER trip without reason.

The only reason I can see for delaying the trip is people
are trying to defeat the protection, and that makes no
sense.

73 Tom