Re: [Amps] 8877 Grid Trip timing

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 8877 Grid Trip timing
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@eltac.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 22:41:34 +0100
> So I got up my courage at the right moment and
> shorted the high voltage.  It silently tripped off.  All
> the meters went to their standby readings.  I guess
> the HV transformer kind of grunted.  But not a
> sound excepting for LOTS of laughing about how
> they had got me all prepared for a huge mess and
> how nervous I ought to be.
>
> Clowns!
In my college work experience days I worked in a team on a L band
radar system - the output device was a hybrid of TWT with klyston
built in at the bottom. As best I recall it sat with 40kV across
it and drew 28A when rf drive was applied giving over 500kW pulse
out, about 10kW mean. The aim was to modulate the rf drive so as
to get a square rf output pulse, and there was a diecast box of
opamps in the corner of the HV cabinet. 'Scope probes were mounted
on the end of 3' plastic rods to check the test points.

The whole thing was in a big open 'hangar'. One day, with someone
absorbed in studying the 'scope traces, his 'friend' dropped a 2'
square plate of aluminium on the floor. It was weeks until he was
right again. It takes a special sort....

I remember getting a couple of days off when the cooling hose came
off the dummy load and sprayed all over the HV stuff. It took out
the local sub station.

Happy days.

Steve