Re: [Amps] 8877 Grid Trip timing

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 8877 Grid Trip timing
From: Karl-Arne Markström <sm0aom@telia.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 20:04:16 +0200
Actually the "crowbars" in large transmitters are there to save the "tube
innards" (grids, cathode) in case of
internal arcs which are common occurrence. The sense circuit is connected in
the plate return, and the ignitron diverts the the major part of the fault
current in the order of a few hundred microseconds.

Grid overcurrents due to other causes are usually sensed by more conventional
overload relay circuits
which have time constants of some tens of milliseconds, in order not to trip on
modulation peaks.

Standard procedure for checking the crowbar circuit in 100 kW Telefunken
transmitters (which, as a whole, were quite tempermental creatures) was to
short circuit the 14 kV 15 A rectifier using a 0,3 mm silver wire, which should
not burn off or melt. This obviously required some courage by the maintenance
personnel.

73/

Karl-Arne
SM0AOM