[Amps] Tuning the SB-220 was: Re: SB-220 bias question

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Tuning the SB-220 was: Re: SB-220 bias question
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 10:16:34 -0400
I have had my SB-220 for about 10 years.  It was meticulously built by a
real old-timer.  One of its true beauties is the relatively forgiving
tuning - by putting index card behind the two capacitor knobs and
marking them with the settings for each band, I can change bands and go
in about 3 seconds, without peaking it up until I have a little break in
the fun.  That also helps save me from getting into the state where my
antenna is so mismatched that arcing occurs.

By the way, my SB-220 came with a full complement of Measures mods in
the plate circuit.  I took them out, put in KM1H's suppressors, gained
100 watts output on 10M, and the amplifier has been unconditionally
stable, including on 12 and 17 meters.  When operating RTTY in contests,
I have simply turned down the drive (my exciter needs to be run at 1/2
CW input anyway, I believe) and it cooks happily along at 500 watts
key-down, with the switch never out of SSB position.

Your mileage may certainly vary.

73, Pete N4ZR
New Articles Daily - the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com