Re: [Amps] Resistor Before the Capacitor? (long)

To: "'Jim Garland'" <4cx250b@muohio.edu>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Resistor Before the Capacitor? (long)
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 13:35:36 -0500
Jim,

Here is the problem: while your calculations with no filter capacitor are
true, the peak current is only .99 amps but the ripple is 100%!

You can't use an infinite value capacitor as that implies it never needs to
be recharged. Not the kind of power supply we are talking about here.

With a practical capacitor of say 50 uF it is supplying energy to the load
between pulses from the rectifier to reduce the ripple which results in a
higher average voltage output.

The energy taken out between the ripple pulses has to be re-supplied to the
capacitor DURING the pulses from the rectifiers. Since the peak voltage from
the rectifiers can not increase beyond the 3000 volt level then the current
must increase in order to deliver the energy needed to recharge the
capacitor.

Also consider that when the capacitor is charged to near the full 3000
volts, or to say 2700 volts as in your example under load, the charging
current pulses are no longer sin wave pulses as the rectifiers will only be
conducting over a short length of time at near the peak voltage of the
transformer. That will only be a few degrees of conduction time between 2700
volts and 3000 volts of the rectifier pulse.
We can no longer divide by 1.414 to find average current. That value only
applies to sin waves.

Again, when the conduction time is shortened the current must increase in
order to supply the full amount of energy that has been removed from the
capacitor. That will make the peak current much higher than the DC current
out of the power supply. That high peak current thru the 25 ohm resistor
will make for a large voltage drop across it.

Maybe the other Jim VE7RF can give us some actual numbers on the peak
current from his calculator. I am too lazy to figure it out at the moment.

73
Gary  K4FMX