Re: [Amps] Resistor Before the Capacitor? (long)

To: amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Resistor Before the Capacitor? (long)
From: Ron Youvan <ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 14:05:00 -0500
> I think some commenters may have overestimated the negative impact on power
> supply regulation, if a "glitch" resistor is placed between the diode
> rectifiers and the filter capacitor of an hV supply. Here is an easy way to
> estimate the impact of such a resistor on power supply regulation.

   I disagree, as noted earlier, current only flows from the rectifier into
the capacitor when the capacitor is discharged below the rectifier's output
Voltage resulting in quite high current pulses near the top of the incoming
sine wave.  Those current levels must be considered, not the plate current.

> Consider an hV power supply that is designed to deliver, with no load, 3000V
> DC. Further, let us suppose that the total load on the power supply by the
> amplifier is 3000 ohms, which is a reasonable value for an amateur legal
> limit amplifier.
/*snip*/
--
    Ron  KA4INM - I'm proud to be Chuck's pop!