Re: [Amps] Resistor Before the Capacitor? (long)

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Resistor Before the Capacitor? (long)
From: gdaught6@stanford.edu
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 10:38:50 -0800
Several people have contributed to this topic.  I'm not sure they have all
understood
the function of a "glitch" resistor, at least MY idea of the function of a
glitch resistor.

Putting the resistor "before the capacitor" will certainly limit the huge
start-up
charging surge, thereby helping to protect the rectifier diodes, which cost
$0.11 each
the last time I bought a hundred of them.  It will also limit the DC
(steady-state)
current supplied to an HV short, like an arc in a tube.  But the full energy
stored in
the capacitor WILL BE AVAILABLE  to vaporize some bits inside your tube.

The tube costs well over 11 cents, so I choose the "after the capacitor"
position for
the resistor.

73,

 George T Daughters, K6GT