Re: [Amps] Clipperton-L parasitic suppressors

To: Cecil Acuff <chacuff@cableone.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Clipperton-L parasitic suppressors
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 17:17:20 -0500

Cecil Acuff wrote:
> ----------------------------cut-------------------------------------------
>
>> but there is now a new generation of participants who weren't there at
>> the time. There is a big and *important* difference between banning
>> someone for his technical opinions (which I don't believe this reflector
>> has ever done) and banning someone after several episodes of
>> outrageously bad conduct.
>>

> ---------------------------cut----------------------------------------------
>
> I guess I'm kind of in that group of new participants but was also a member
> for a short while back when Mr. Measures was still active on the list.
> Things were so intense between he and W8JI at the time I bailed out.  It was
> not helpful to anyone.  Off list request for info and help went
> unanswered.....
>
> I came back recently because I knew this was a great resource if one could
> get through the S/N ratio.
>
> But...my experience since I have returned has been mixed.  There are a few
> who have been very helpful on my 30S-1 questions going out of their way to
> help. For that I am thankful.  On the flip side there have been a few that
> seem to be more intent on strutting their education and experience in a
> manner that seems intent on belittling those of us that don't have our EE's.
> Quick to point out our shortcomings but offering little in the way of help
> in many cases.  To me that's a total waste of knowledge if one is not
> willing to share it by helping and guiding those of us that need and ask for
> it.  Again off list requests for info and help from those who, on list,
> project the appearence of being the most knowledgable.

To me this list has had (since the aforementioned problems) the lowest
noise ratio of about any list I've been on. I may have a lot of time,
but I've found out more about tubes and amps on here than any where
else. It's been particularly fruitful in the past few months, at least
for me. Now if I could just figure out where to get the money to do all
these things, and purchase all these parts<:-))

On of the most difficult things in my career was to get engineers to
speak in a manner that the rest of us would understand.  Then I made a
startling discovery.  I was almost as bad in my own field (computers)
where I had prided myself on being able to give plain language
explanations. It seemed the more I learned, the more difficult it became
to explain something fully without discovering my audience had that
glazed look. You know you've lost them after the second or third "yah or
uh huh" in a row.  We also approach things differently.  Some start with
the overall project and work down to the details. Other's may start with
a specific detail and work up. Many of us, me included, have forgotten
the details by the time we figure out where the narration is going. <:-))

Moving a bit beyond that, scientists  as a group are not noted for plain
language communications skills. certainly there are exceptions.  An
introductory class from a PHD can be a nightmare.

The difficult part on the reflectors is trying to communicate something
known by one person to another that doesn't know without sounding
condescending or bragging. I just figure (and hope) the one helping me,
really knows more about the specific subject than I do. Outside my own
field that's a pretty safe bet, but doesn't come with a guarantee.

> While I have done over 30 years of electronics work in my career and spare
> time...design work as it relates to RF amplifiers is an area that is
> lacking.  I have the desire to learn the proper ways and understand the
> theory and in some cases have learned a lot from some of the posts.
>
> You guys education and real world experience would be better spent helping
> those who have the desire to do things correctly.  Pass it on...

These are the reasons I have tried to document the things I've done that
might be helpful and often include links. Usually, about the time I
think I've learned something, something else breaks and makes a liar out
of me.  It seems like now days I spend more time fixing things than
building or doing things. Of course that leads my wife to tell me it's a
good sign I have too many things, which of course is where I remind here
that many of those things I'm fixing are hers. <:-)) Of course it's
difficult for me to talk about anything without slipping in something
aviation related...which BTW has both a Navigation radio and
communications radio that needs fixing so I gotta stay out of the clouds.
> Why else participate on a list like this if you can't...or won't...
>
> Sorry if my note ruffles some feathers...but that is the view through my
> knot hole at this point.

It makes some good points.

Now if I could just figure out how to keep my typing from deteriorating
as I age...along with a lot of other things.
Oops, my cat is emptying waste baskets which means I've spent too much
time at the computer.

73

Roger (K8RI)