Re: [Amps] Expert Amps 2K-FA query

To: <mike@tubby.org>, <dickw1ksz@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Expert Amps 2K-FA query
From: Charles Harpole <k4vud@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 08:40:01 +0000
The only spec I can not find about most amplifiers is how much RF power can it
pass ON STANDBY.  Anyone know about this or other amps??

Explanation:  With the advent of the new 200 watt (and 400 watt) transceivers,
two amplifiers (that I know of) state that they should not be exposed to more
than 100 watts when on stand-by/bypass switch position.    The Alpha 87a says
no 200watts, and the specs on the new but not available Yaesu VL-2000 state
there is a special switch to use if 200 watts is to be pushed thru it on
stand-by.

Being able to quickly switch to 200 watts is handy if one wishes to comply with
the rules specifying "use the lowest power necessary for a QSO."  A neglected
but real part of ham radio regulations/rules, and of course, the mark of a good
operator, too.

A further question I have is WHAT ABOUT IF THE AMPLIFIER IS FULLY OFF?  If the
amp is OFF, is there still a reason not to put 200 watts through it???

And, what is the bad result of pushing 200watts into any amplifier when on
Standby or Off ????

Inquiring minds want to know.  Thanks to the smart guys who can answer.  73

PS:  It appears that most amplifiers are designed to always be used, given
multiple ant outputs,so2r, etc., true?

Charles Harpole
k4vud@hotmail.com