Re: [Amps] Choke input filters, design criteria?

To: Chris Wilson <chris@chriswilson.tv>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Choke input filters, design criteria?
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 05:29:29 -0600
4 H is a bit low; 8 would be better.  Choke input filters are good for
power supply loads that are fairly constant, i.e. modes like AM, FM,
and RTTY.  Take a look at the designs used in earlier amps like the
Heathkit HA-10 as something to work off of, also the power supply
sections of 1 KW vacuum tube AM broadcast rigs.  Don't forget old
handbooks, West Coast and ARRL from the '40s and '50s.  if you are in
the UK perhaps RSGB has old handbooks with design criteria.  You could
start with an 8 uF oil cap.  Let's assume you are going with 3.5 KV.
Look for a cap rated for over 4; 4.5 KV or more is a good idea.
Follow that with the choke and another oil cap like the first one at
the input.  Don't fool around with electrolytics that will need to be
replaced some day--this is a filter that will last as long as you do.
Use the ratings of the choke as your guide.  Make sure the v. rating
of the caps is working volts DC.  Stay away from energy discharge
caps--a genuine filter cap will be bigger with sizable insulators on
the contact lugs.

73
Rob
K5UJ