Re: [Amps] Choke input filters, design criteria?

To: "Amps" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Choke input filters, design criteria?
From: Chris Wilson <chris@chriswilson.tv>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 22:42:38 +0000

>>> Rob
>>> K5UJ
>>

>> 19/12/2012 14:03
>>
>> Thanks for the reply Rob. Is there a way to check the inductance of
>> another choke I have? The other one is bigger, and is from a 3 phase
>> supply for a Henry RF Generator. It gave just under 5kV at 1.5 amps.
>> Henry use the same part number in both the 3 and single phase versions
>> of the HV supply, but the single phase version uses 2 off 0.1uF
>> resonating capacitors, and a 4uF filter cap, with fairly low value
>> bleeder resistors. I believe these are to keep off load voltage in
>> check? The Henry schematics show both supplies using the same part
>> number of choke, but the 3 phase uses no resonance caps. The
>> schematics don't give the inductance though.
>>
>> I believe an HV choke needs measuring for inductance with DC on it,
>> for the purposes of use as a resonant choke, and making it resonant at
>> twice the mains frequency (100Hz in this case, after a full wave
>> bridge).
>>

>> --
>>       Best Regards,
>>                   Chris Wilson.

> Old ARRL and West Coast handbooks go into detail about "critical inducrance"
> and what happens when it is not enough. Going much higher offers very little
> benefit.

> A tuned choke requires less inductance and Henry ran them for decades. The
> cap is critical and when they change or become leaky the light show is
> spectacular.

> Carl
> KM1H

19/12/2012 22:38

Thanks for your 2 replies Carl, and to Bill Turner. I think I will
abandon the idea of the resonant choke input filter and stay with the
previously successful capacitive input filter with a good old
electrolytic array. Some day I might have a play with these chokes,
but for now they sound like needless hassle and likely to add problems
with my level of experience. It was more a matter of having them, and
wanting to have a play, but I think I'll pass for now, and stay with
what worked on the other supply. Thanks for your time!

--
       Best Regards,
                   Chris Wilson.