Re: [Amps] Choke input filters, design criteria?

To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Choke input filters, design criteria?
From: Chris Wilson <chris@chriswilson.tv>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 21:41:39 +0000

> yes the Henrys used resonant choke filters.  This helps explain it:

> http://www.qsl.net/i0jx/supply.html

> There was a nice article in QST in June 1946 about how to get the
> inductance of a "mystery" choke using some math, a multimeter, an AC
> microampere meter, and 120 v. service but since you have 240 you'd
> have to work with one side of that if the UK has neutral return (four
> wire service).

> If you can get access to QST on-line:  "How Much Inductance?  A simple
> method for measuring unknown filter chokes" by George H. Floyd W6OJK/2
> June 1946 QST p. 69 and 132.

> 73

> Rob
> K5UJ

20/12/2012 21:27

Well, I checked it at 115V and at 200V  and at 240V, with current
drawsof 13.08mA, 23.3mA and 28.09mA respectively, giving according to
the article, and inductance of about 27 to 28 Henry

I also checked it with a calibrated Fluke PM6303A RCL meter, which I
think tests at 1kHz, and that showed 44 Henry. Assuming the articles
formula is good up at 1kHz the articles equation would put it at 38
Henry

I will have to assume the one from the Henry Electronics 3 phase 3kV
supply is therefore about 27 Henry.

Interesting stuff, thanks Rob :)

--
       Best Regards,