Re: [Amps] Passive grid stability calculation for a tetrode?

To: Carl <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>, "donroden@hiwaay.net" <donroden@hiwaay.net>, Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Passive grid stability calculation for a tetrode?
From: "Fuqua, Bill L" <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 17:51:07 +0000
    All the feedback theory that has been offered applies to RC coupled
amplifiers.
In theory, even a triode should never oscillate since the feedback is out of
phase with the input, right?
However, the real problem is when reactive components are present in the input
ckt.
    The classic tuned grid tuned plate oscillator. The feedback capacitance and
the input
ckt which is resonance causes two problems. The resonant input, due to its Q
actually
steps up the voltage. And if it is tuned somewhat below resonance, if I recall
this correctly,
it along with feedback capacitance shifts the phase shift from 180 degrees.
Now it does not
have to be exactly in phase if you have enough step up voltage, there is
something called
phase and gain margin for assured stability.
   In fact there is a tuned plate untuned grid oscillator, commonly used for
power oscillators,
where the plate is tuned and there is simply an inductor in the grid ckt.
   The problem is that the input of the tube will not normally be simply seeing
a resistive
load looking into the driver, but a complex impedance that must be swamped out.

73
Bill wa4lav