[CQ-Contest] QSL Bureau Fee Structure

Subject: [CQ-Contest] QSL Bureau Fee Structure
From: n6ig@netcom.com (Jim Pratt)
Date: Mon Aug 10 11:46:54 1998
On Sat, 8 Aug 1998, Bruce Sawyer wrote:

> BTW, that's also an interesting note in Item 18 about "proposed change in
> local club competition eligibility criteria".  The last I heard, at least
> some CAC members from "Big Contest Club" were opposed to any expansion in
> local club eligibility because it might take away from the "Big Club" in SS
> competition.  In other words, "We don't want to give people a choice."  But
> the fact that K4VX reported on any change at all tells me that the big
> contest club CAC guys must not have carried the day.  Is it too much to hope
> for????

>From what I have heard from N6TV, our CAC rep, the CAC voted something
like 2 to 1 to expand the local club radius from 20 miles to 35 miles.
As president of the River City Contesters (a local club), I have opposed
this change as unneeded, as have all of our members.  But the decision
did not go our way...

One of the arguments we heard was there weren't enough contesters within
a 20 mile radius to make a local club viable.  I think our club disproves
this point, and I suggested that if there weren't enough contesters, the
club should MAKE some.  I also predicted that if the local club radius is
expanded, local clubs would go after members of medium and unlimited
clubs to make their clubs more competitive.

I haven't heard the outcome of this discussion from the MSC, I hope it
doesn't take place until next year.  But in any case, our club is
reviewing the QTHs of members of local "Big Clubs" <(c) N6NT> to look for
potential recruits! ;=>

Too bad the CAC hasn't allowed for multiple club submissions to avoid the
animosity that will occur when people are members of two clubs.

Oh well, good things never remain the same...

73, Jim  N6IG