[CQ-Contest] SS SO Unlimited question

Subject: [CQ-Contest] SS SO Unlimited question
From: aa4lr@radio.org (Bill Coleman AA4LR)
Date: Wed Aug 4 14:05:31 1999
On 8/3/99 19:50, n6tr@teleport.com at n6tr@teleport.com wrote:

>>Now, if you go back, Hans, and ask the unasked question -- why bother?
>>The answer is exactly the same for all other contests, too. Ever since
>>the appearance of assisted operator categories, unassisted single ops
>>have posted better scores, with few exceptions.
>
>The assisted category isn't attractive to the "average" "top ten"
>contester.  By its nature - of providing assistance - packet changes
>the nature of the competition.
>
>Packet seems to attract the casual operators (albeit and a few
>serious ones) who are interested in participating in the contest
>for reasons like "to help the club" or "pick up a few new countries"
>or "to work a few of my friends" or "to get a mug".

I think this perspective is EXACTLY correct. Assisted categories don't
generally appear to top contesters. (Although there have been some who
have recently tried the assisted category, and they are notable
exceptions to the above rule)

The assisted category does appear to the more casual contester, and
that's exactly the folks who have been making the most use of it.

My point is that the assisted category plays this role in every contest,
not just SS. SS just seems to be the last hold-out.

>Allowing packet for all single ops would ruin contesting as we
>know it.

Amen to that.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
Quote: "Boot, you transistorized tormentor! Boot!"
            -- Archibald Asparagus, VeggieTales