RE: [CQ-Contest] Why SS is like it is

To: <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] Why SS is like it is
From: "Dale Martin" <kg5u@hal-pc.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:11:35 -0600
>  But it
> can be a difficult contest for little pistol stations who have to S&P for
> every contact.

Sure it can.  Suck it up!  Keep tuning.  And CQ when you find a spot--those
'big guns' have to S&P, too.

>Not being able to work the same station on multiple bands
> makes for a LOT of dial tuning without finding anybody new
> calling CQ.

>But
> as you mentioned, that is part of what makes it Sweepstakes.

That's the nature and beauty of SS.  You've got to work for the Q's.

You want a QSO with the same station on every band? Get in the contests that
allow it.

SS wouldn't be as attractive and compelling if it was easy.

To paraphrase JFK's Moon speech at Rice University in 1962 (I was a high
school senior in the audience):

We choose to do the best we can in Sweepstakes, "not because it is easy, but
because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the
best of our energies and skills"

73,
dale, kg5u