RE: [CQ-Contest] Here we go again

To: <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>,"'Russell Hill'" <rustyhill@earthlink.net>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] Here we go again
From: "Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:05:13 -0500

Bill Turner [mailto:dezrat1242@ispwest.com] writes:

> Ok, here's a subject for discussion:  How about re-doing contest
> classes entirely?  I'm suggesting just two basic classes, Limited and
> Unlimited.
>
> Limited class would spell out the hardware limits specifically, much
> like the WRTC does already.  It would be oriented toward a "typical"
> ham station, not a contest station.  I would suggest one radio, no
> packet or other spotting assistance, one antenna per band, dipoles
> only and a height restriction.  "Dipole" could be defined to be any
> antenna with the equivalent gain of a dipole.  This would allow
> inverted vees, quarter wave GPs, etc.

Bill,

I like your idea but "dipole equivalents" only is perhaps a bit too
restrictive - even WRTC used triband yagis.  Now, an antenna limit
of a single element (dipole or vertical) below 7 MHz and three elements
above 14 MHz with a maximum height of 22 meters and everything contained
within a 30 meter (diameter) circle there might be the basis for a
reasonable "limited" class.  Add a 250 Watt power limit and you've
defined a reasonable category for the casual contester.

Unfortunately, this would not solve your problem with SO2R as an 80'
tower and four element quad would put you in the unlimited class.

> You could, if desired, subdivide those classes into LP and HP or
> multioperator, but the hardware would remain the same.

Other than high/low power, multiple operator/single transmitter and
multiple operator/multiple transmitter, I would not further subdivide
the unlimited class to avoid the "slice and dice" phenomena.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK