Re: [CQ-Contest] Best HF rig under $900

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Best HF rig under $900
From: Eric Hilding <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 22:23:46 -0800
John, NE0P wrote:

 > In your opinion, what is the best used HF only rig or
 > HF/6 rig on the used market today for $900 or less?

If you want strictly "Used" with no 6m, I bought my TS-870S rigs each for
about $900 via Ebay.

IMHO, check for loose change in the couch, etc. and come up with about $30+
more and buy yourself a ***NEW*** TS-480S.  It's 160m-6m...and portable as
heck to boot (even mobile if you get the bug). The display/remote head is a
thrill just too look at...not to mention so easy to contest with.  I
finally bought an SKB case (Pelican-like), and fit the rig + small MFJ
25amp switching power supply into an airline-friendly size carry-on for
X-pedition trips.  The RX pulled in sigs better than an FT-1000MP MK V in
an A/B test I did :-)   For about $200 more, you can get a 200w version but
not built-in tuner.

73...

Rick, K6VVA