Re: [CQ-Contest] FT-920 - IC-718

To: "CQ Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] FT-920 - IC-718
From: "Clive Whelan" <clive.whelan@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 23:22:36 -0000

K4JRB wrote

<  I remember GW3YDX saying it was terrible on 160
in QRM and loud signals (something the TS870 cures).>

Caveat, the 870 will still experience IMD3 problems, in very crowded band
conditions with mega loud signals, even if the so called AIP ( advanced
intercept point) is enabled. However, about 6dB of attenuation always seems
to knock it out on the very rare occasions it has troubled me. I tolerate
this, because it is simply the best transceiver I have ever used. The in
band ( i.e. within filter ) IMD performance is second to none ( see ARRL
expanded review) and this is largely what makes it such a delight to
use-i.e. sounds really quiet. The choice of 2,4,6,8mS rise and fall times
for keying, makes it a really super sounding rig too. QSK works FB although
is a tad noisy, for those young enough still to have good HF audio ears

I recently got an IC7400, ostensibly for 6m and 2m, and as a back up HF rig.
This is also shaping up very well indeed as a contest rig. The DSP filtering
goes a step beyond even the 870 which is really very good, with brick wall
edges to the filters.The menu system is far superior to Yaesu and Kenwood,
which are rather impenetrable I feel. Also the twin PBT got me out of jail a
couple of times in IARU, when G9BF decided to park on my bows.I retired my
FT1000MP a while back, as I just don't see it as a CW man's rig, and I don't
need dual receivers ( use dual rigs!), one of which is pretty crummy anyway.

Please don't let on about the 870, as the price is pretty depressed, which
is where it should stay!

73

Clive
GW3NJW