Re: [CQ-Contest] FT-920 - IC-718

To: "John Geiger" <ne0p@lcisp.com>, "Bill Coleman" <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] FT-920 - IC-718
From: "KE5CTY Bob" <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 10:03:58 -0500
After all the scary things I have read about the 746/756 series, rigs I am
almost afraid to get one unless I have the money to send it to Icom and pay
for the repair. When something as basic, but as necessary  as a display is a
major problem for a manufacturer it makes you wonder.

That is why I am basing my evaluations on the guys who have been in the
middle of the front line for a while and have the scores to prove out their
purchases as being successful.

I have also read many articles lately it seems (and posts, even on the Icom
list) where alot of people seem to get one new and then have to send it back
to Icom or are asking others about problems they are having with them and
what to do about it. Seems like Icom is taking the Microsoft approach, make
it sell it and then fix it.

Although they seem to get repaired ok after being sent to Icom, it seems to
cost alot to get it back and takes a while for turn around.

Then you hear about guys who have had them for years without a clitch. Makes
you wonder which are the isolated cases and which are not. Almost like
shooting dice. One the other hand the "preferred" rigs seem to be free of
this syndrome and appear more stable.

TNX,
Bob
KE5CTY (old calls WB5ZQU - WY5L)
http://www.qsl.net/ke5cty/
Code may be dying but the pioneering spirit that put the code there in
the first place is still going strong.