Re: [CQ-Contest] FT-920 - IC-718

To: "CQ Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] FT-920 - IC-718
From: "David Thompson" <thompson@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 13:03:54 -0400
The IC-718 is (as described ) an entry level rig.  A casual op will find it
great.

The FT-920 is another story.  Having a built in monitor, DVK/speech
processor for SSB, and dual frequency readout  make a good economy
contest/DX transceiver.  Its one of two rigs of choice on 6 too.  With
filters available from Yaesu and INRAd it hold its own and it seems to have
good overload sensitivity so nearby loud signals don't affect it.  Its far
better for 75 and 40 SSB split than my older FT-980 or several ICOMs I have
used.  The clicks problem that shows up in the 1000MP series does not appear
to be a problem either.

The problems are there (its an ecomony rig) such as limited menu selection,
hidden menus that are not well publized, the DVK is hidden behind the VFO B
tuning, and on SSB I find that you need to turn off the equalizer and add
bass for best results.  K4EA told me it sounded thin and high pitched with
the EQ on.
(using the Heil HC-4 element which works great on the FT-980, FT-1000D and
MP).

Don't know about the TS850.  I remember GW3YDX saying it was terrible on 160
in QRM and loud signals (something the TS870 cures).  But W4AN swore by his
so I guess its what you are used too.

Dave K4JRB