Re: [CQ-Contest] FT-920 - IC-718

To: KE5CTY Bob <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] FT-920 - IC-718
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 22:37:46 -0400
On Jul 21, 2005, at 7:17 PM, KE5CTY Bob wrote:

> According to the manufacture dates and the demand (preferred radios) -
> there has been no *practical* noticeable change in equipment (change
> worth having from a practical - operational standpoint) for almost 9
> YEARS only smoke and mirrors (cosmetics) with the *most* preferred rig
> being almost 10 years old in technology according to manufacture
> output:
>
> Kenwood; TS-830S HF Transceiver;Manfact'd approx May 1981
> Kenwood; TS-850S 160-10 Meter Transceiver;Manfact'd approx Jul 1991
> ICOM; IC-728 MF/HF Transceiver;Manfact'd approx Feb 1993
> Yaesu; FT-1000MP MF/HF Transceiver;Manfact'd approx Apr 1996
> Yaesu; FT-920 MF/HF/6 Meter Transceiver;Manfact'd approx Oct 1997
>
> (((The Dead Years)))
>
> ???? 2005 ????

I think this depiction is inaccurate. The so-called "dead years" have
a number of innovative rigs introduced:

Elecraft K2 and K2/100
TenTec Orion
IC-7800
FT-7900DX

And even that misses the FT-1000 variants that have been introduced,
with substantial upgrades to the basic rig:
FT-1000MP Mk V
FT-1000MP Mk V Field

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901