Re: [CQ-Contest] WW SSB - the corruptive influence of packet

To: <CQ-CONTEST@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WW SSB - the corruptive influence of packet
From: "W0MU" <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 08:32:22 -0700
The point is there is a choice.  You can choose to use packet or not.
Nobody is forcing anyone to use it.  You have the same choice with rigs,
antennas, logging programs etc.  You choose the technology you want to use.

Packet was designed for contesters to maximize their scores.  It grew from
small clusters to a world wide network.  Now it is used for Dxing, 6m
openings, VHF, UHF, EME etc.  The beautiful thing is that there are filters
that allow you to see as much or a little data as you want.

Time in today's society is valuable.  Packet allows some hams the
opportunity to spend more time in other activities or with the family and
when something comes on they need they will know about it.  Lots of casual
ops will use packet to work all sweepstakes sections so they can get their
sweep mugs and similar awards.

Since some people run more than the legal power allowed, should ban
amplifiers?.  To take it further since some people speed in cars and break
laws we should ban all cars?  We don't outlaw matches because they can start
fires, we arrest those that use the matches to commit crimes.

Cheaters will continue to cheat.  They cheat themselves and when exposed
they lose all respectability.  Stations running illegal power, Telephones
used to schedule contest contacts, Antennas or transmitters outside the
define areas, rubber clocking are just a few infractions that I know of over
my 20 some years in contesting.

As a node owner, I want people to use the node.  If the users want to post
practice contacts, great!  If they want to post XE or VE stations, Great!
If they want to post 6m openings, Great! If you don't like way the clusters
are run, find another cluster system or create one with your rules and
technology.

If you believe that certain stations are cheating inform the appropriate
contest committees of why you think so and let them handle it.

Have fun!  See you in the SS

Mike W0MU