[CQ-Contest] Newbie Assimilation

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Newbie Assimilation
From: <n5ot@n5ot.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 06:05:42 -0600
> No point. [snip]

Craig,

I for one appreciate the time you took to get this written down,
OM.  I'm not sure what to tell you.  Like many things in social
life, the contesting echelons are exclusive and cliquish, and
that is, of course, daunting to an outsider.  Your note reads
like you're a daunted outsider.

Well Craig, *I* am in the club.  I will tell you (having been
there) that I never heard of a guy who took the time to track
down a Multi-op station owner and asked if they could come over
and watch the operation as it unfolds, not to operate, but just
to take in the spectacle, who:

1. was turned away
2. was not handed headphones to listen at some point
3. was not asked to "take the mic for a minute while I go to the
bathroom" at some point
4. did not leave without the station owner noting name, call, and
phone number

The only problem is sometimes you have to sit there quietly for
about 38 hours before someone remembers their manners and does #3
above.  Hams on the whole are not known for their superb social
skills.  Anyway, if you've got a weekend to burn (most good
things cost you something), this will guarantee your being given
your first opportunity to assimilate into "the club."  Jump!
Take it!  The rest, as they say, will be history, and you'll find
yourself invited to the next one.  Repeat after me "sure, I'd
love to be 10 meter band captain!" (as in all things worth the
wait, you have to work your way up).

For a list of stations to try this with, see the contest results.
You have to track them down; they're not going to come looking
for you, but they'll be glad you went looking for THEM.

Field Days used to work for this but now you have to be careful
with Field Days - the level of quality at FD operations is
inconsistent at best.  Be picky when you pick which FD party to
crash - but if you pick a good one (like one with a dedicated CW
station and you hang out with the CW guys) and again, wait until
the guy sitting there can't stand it any longer and needs to go
to the bathroom, you'll be set for life, because you'll be the
one he turns to.  Put yourself in the right place at the right
time, then be patient.

Some of you guys reading this think I'm kidding.  I'm not.  What
most of us have to remember is to be the one who offers the
headphones, and the one who hands the mic to the newbie who's
been watching for 38 hours so they can try it out.  Lord knows
after 38 hours of watching YOU, they probably know what to do,
and just need a chance to do it.

Somebody at the W6KA Field Day FINALLY handed me the mic - at
2:00 in the morning - when I was 14.  I bet about half the
readers on this list had a similar experience, and now they're in
the club too.

Mark, N5OT