Re: [CQ-Contest] Is it a time to change rules forHQ stnsin IARUcontest ?

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Is it a time to change rules forHQ stnsin IARUcontest ?
From: Doug Smith W9WI <w9wi@earthlink.net>
Date: 17 Jul 2006 08:20:47 -0500
On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 03:18, Bob Henderson wrote:
> Your suggestion for establishing a "Uniques" threshold for contacts between
> HQ and other stations in the same territory appears similar in approach to
> the technique used at WRTC.  This might be a good way to deal with the issue
> but is dependent, as you suggest, upon the practicalities associated with
> it's introduction to log checking process.

I received a private message (from someone who would know!) indicating
that my fears were not justified, that it would not be nearly as
difficult on the log-checking process as I thought.

> Restructuring the scoring system to substantially reduce credit for these
> contacts, might be an option to reduce the flag waving effect, though it
> would at best ameliorate not cure.

That depends on your definition of "these" contacts - are you referring
to "uniques", or to own-country contacts in general?

71% of W1AW/4's QSOs were with other mainland W stations.  Disallowing W
uniques would have cost us a few % of our score - maybe 2-3%?  (will
have to check on that)  Disallowing contacts with stations in
territories represented by ARRL would have cost us over 71% of our QSOs
and at least 24 multipliers.

I don't think it would have been anywhere near as devastating for any
European HQ operation, unless they were cheating.  Even if they *were*
cheating, they wouldn't have lost the mults.

The situation would probably be similar for JARL HQ, except they
wouldn't lose as many mults because JARL is only responsible for zone
45.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66