Re: [CQ-Contest] Is it a time to change rules forHQstnsin IARUcontest ?

To: "Bob Henderson" <bob@5b4agn.net>,"cq-contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Is it a time to change rules forHQstnsin IARUcontest ?
From: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 09:36:26 -0500
My .02 starts with a couple questions:

1. To what extent do non-HQ stations compete with HQ stations? (Not at all,
as far as I can see.)
2. To what extent do HQ stations really intend to compete with each other
vs. representing their national society on the air?

My problem with zeroing out QSOs with own-country stations has always been
this: why is a 160m QSO between two stations that can see each other
(Morocco to southern Spain, for example) any more a DX contact than Florida
to Alaska?

Was the idea of HQ stations, and the resultant bonus, not about promoting
activity and providing another challenge for the rest of us? And if there
are high numbers of uniques in the logs of HQ stations, then I feel the
organizers would only say "Mission accomplished."

Dave's idea of returning to one station, one call sounds like the way to go
except for one small detail: contest organizers can only control those
stations who submit to the rules by submitting a log. The bands remain free
for everyone to use even during contests, and the contest rules do not have
any jurisdiction over those who do not submit logs. If these 9,000 DL
contacts are uniques, then it's highly unlikely any of them will be
submitting a log. And even if they did, the contest organizers can only
punish the wrongdoers: Stations can't be held responsible for the actions of
those over whom they have no control. So, how do you stop a station from
lining up ops?

Do other HQ stations feel the need to complain? (Doug, what say W1AW/4?) If
other HQ stations don't feel put out, the rest of us don't have anything to
worry about.

73, kelly
ve4xt