Re: [CQ-Contest] HELP-Accused of Cheating

To: "'Zack Widup'" <w9sz@prairienet.org>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] HELP-Accused of Cheating
From: "w4ZW" <w4zw@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 15:01:54 -0500

The ocean does marvelous things for signals.  I'm oceanfront here on the
southern tip of my island and have ocean and bay takeoffs in all directions
except NNW.  I can run LP or QRP on 40M with the beam at about 100' ASL and
everyone thinks I'm HP.  I often have guys think I'm QRO on 40M when the max
I can run here is about 300W before I get into the alarm system, the
elevator controls, and the "God forbid" the TIVO, so even if I enter as HP,
I only run 100-200W on 40M and 80M.

One year in an effort to convince my ham club to enter Field day as a QRP
entry, I had a bunch of the guys over and we worked all kinds of DX with 5
watts and the DX stations were shocked that we were QRP.  My guys were so
awed by the small difference between 5W and 100W with good antennas, we
entered FD the next several years as QRP from my dock on the bay side.  We
did very well running battery QRP, but we had a tribander at 60', a Bobtail
on 40, and full wave delta on 80M, and a R7 over the water up about 30'
above the dock.

Jon Hamlet,  W4ZW

Casey Key Island, Florida
"A little piece of paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"