Re: [CQ-Contest] Russian DX contest

To: guy_molinari@hotmail.com, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Russian DX contest
From: "D K7GK" <k7gk@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 09:52:02 -0800
Guy,

As someone who played in RDXC 3 times from Pacific Northwest I can tell you that this contest can be fun and very frustrating. I agree with Steve N2IC, who pointed out this contest is very very hard from the West, especially PNW. With a modest setup - 3-bander and wires for low bands I was able to make around 300 QSOs in previous years. With better setup @K7ZSD (stacks for 10/15/20, full size 3 element for 40 and bobtails for 80) I was able to make 670 QSOs, operating SOAB-MIX HP in all cases. For me the main problem with this contest is that Russian stations can work anyone for credit, including each other. Moreover, they get credit for Russian mults as well. This means typically you have to wait for Russian stations to work each other, than they answer EU or AS stations, which are much closer. Than usually goes the East Coast and Mid-West. After that, if you are still there, they may answer you.

I would have to respectfully disagree with Igor UA9CDC that RDXC is more fun from PNW than ARRL is from UA9C. Admittedly, I haven't done ARRL from UA9C, but I've done it from UR and UA3, and in my experience it's more fun. The reason is that in ARRL US stations can only work DX and when the path is open, they typically answer your call. The situation is very different in Russian DX, especially at the bottom of the cycle.

I'm not trying to discourage you or anyone, but going with inflated expectations into this can turn out a rather frustrating experience.

73, Denis - K7GK