Re: [CQ-Contest] Russian DX contest

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Russian DX contest
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 10:40:38 -0500
To be sure, I'm on the East Coast, but I don't think we have heard the whole
story yet.  For one thing, the rules permit non-Russians to work *anyone* else.
  Here's an excerpt from the rules:

7.2 Non-Russian stations:
    * QSO with Russian station ? 10 points,
    * QSO with your own country ? 2 points,
    * QSO with a different country on your continent ? 3 points,
    * QSO with another continent ? 5 points. ... 9. Multipliers 9.1 Two types
of multiplier will be used:
    * A multiplier of one (1) for each different oblast contacted on each band.
    * A multiplier of one (1) for each different country contacted on each
band.

Given the large turnout of Russian stations, it seems to me that West Coast
stations could cheerfully work Europeans, South Americans and even (gasp) JA's
for 5-pointers and still scoop up enough Russian oblasts to do respectably.
While the multiplier scheme strongly incentivizes working Russians, the points
differential isn't that great.  Heck, you can even work W's and VE's for points.

I'm planning my first full-time effort in the RDXC this year.  See you there?

73, Pete N4ZR