Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R REMOTE CONTESTING

To: <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R REMOTE CONTESTING
From: "Paul O'Kane" <pokane@ei5di.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 07:59:39 +0100
From: "Richard Thorne" <rmthorne@suddenlink.net>

> I haven't heard one single argument why I shouldn't operate
> remote be it 7 miles up the road from my home, like I
> currently do, or a station in Italy,

Richard is perfectly entitled to do that.  He has invested
time and money in something he enjoys, and it's not harming
anyone.

The question is whether remote operation is acceptable for
amateur radio contesting and award chasing.  I happen to
think it's not acceptable.

Would Richard accept that a telephone call is a person-to-
person event (let's call it a QSO) - and not an exchange-
to-exchange QSO?  If not, there's nothing more to be said.

In the same way, an amateur radio QSO is a person-to-person
event with RF everywhere in-between (subject to the 500-meters
allowed for the stations at each end.)

If you don't agree with that, please explain how you choose
to describe, or define, a QSO.

73,
Paul EI5DI