Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesters and LOTW

To: "CQ-Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesters and LOTW
From: "Shelby Summerville" <k4ww@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 05:23:26 -0400
Andrei Stchislenok wrote: "LoTW is a good thing."

As I sit here, actually dreading to start processing another of my,
quarterly, 4 pounds of cards, from the bureau, I wonder: "if LoTW is such a
"good thing", why I continue to get 20+ pounds of cards annually"? I don't
consider myself an "overly active" contester, and I also wonder how the
"overly active" stations deal with this issue, if they experience it?
The vast majority, 95%, of these cards are unsolicited, and from RTTY
contesters! I have absolutely no problem with answering any/all "first
request", regardless of band/mode. I do have a problem with receiving many
duplicate band/mode requests! Just how many times can any specific DX
station want KY confirmed on 20 meters? I suspect that many DX stations
"dump their entire contest logs into their outgoing bureau"? Sorting the
duplicate band/mode request from the "first request" cards, is a time
consuming process, and has literally taken the enjoyment away from operating
DX contests, for me! It has also made me seriously consider withdrawing from
the inbound ARRL QSL bureau, and accepting only direct, or email requests. I
would much rather receive several email requests, after any contest, and
return that request, via the bureau, than continue to receive 20+ pounds,
annually!

Bottom line: If you're a DX station, and need my card....do us both a favor,
and send me an email request!!

73, Shelby - K4WW