Re: [CQ-Contest] Pre-emptive QSLing - was:Contesters and LOTW

To: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>,Shelby Summerville <k4ww@arrl.net>,CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Pre-emptive QSLing - was:Contesters and LOTW
From: J F <phriendly1@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 08:03:35 -0700 (PDT)
Pete,

I use both LOTW and eQSL. They both have their place.

The disadvantage to both is that they are not
universally accepted by many of the popular awards
programs. IOTA, WAZ, USCA immediately come to mind...

LOTW, even within the ARRL Awards program is awkward
to use, particularly if you have more than one QTH.

Also, I'm sure many people don't want to bother going
through the registration process. Those who are
registered and go on DXpedition, sometimes take months
or longer before they post the logs. Timing becomes an
issue, along with, dare I say it, money.

Finally, there are many who still like a hard QSL.
Collecting QSLs is a hobby within a hobby. It's
tangible.

I don't send cards out for every QSO, but I do QSL
everyone either digitally, or if I need them or they
send a card to me. Not always the easiest or more time
efficient part of the hobby, but it is an important
part.

Realistically, I doubt if any single online QSL
service with become the predominant one any time soon.
The logistics, format, various awards requirements and
revenue sharing pose a formidable obstacle. Of course,
if there was agreement and unified pressure from
DXers, Contesters, Award seekers from around the world
(particularly paid members of the various societies)
maybe things would change sooner.

Cheers from Montana where the livin' is easy for a few
more days ;o)

Julius
n2wn