Re: [CQ-Contest] RTTY Reflections

To: "CQ-Contest@contesting. com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] RTTY Reflections
From: Michael Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 10:29:30 -0500
On Jan 7, 2008, at 8:40 AM, K5NZ@aol.com wrote:

> A couple of things stick out that I just have to mention...
>
> Why does it become more important to let someone know they show as
> a dupe  in
> your log than to just work them?  If your being called by someone
> it is
> obvious that they have either logged you incorrect or you think you
> worked them
> when you didn't.  Just work them, now you are in their log and
> don't loose  the
> Q they don't have in their log with you!  Easy!
>
> Why send the signal report, that is a given, 4 times and then your
> NR or  QTH
> that is not a given once?
>
> Why when asked for a fill and it is obvious that the signals are
> weak, not
> give the report several times?  Not the 599 again several times but
> the  report
> that is missing?  Add this to your buffer so you can send "just"
> the  missing
> piece of the puzzle several time! ie:  TX TX TX TX TX    Saves
> soooo much
> time!
>
> Lots of folks like to send callsigns several times and other items not
> really needed but hey, if they want to see some print go across,
> that's  ok...  But
> working on the top three above sure would help out during tuff
> conditions.
>
> Ok I feel better!  Enjoyed the weekend of RTTY...

One of my favorites is on voice when a person calls back to a voice
CQ in the proper method of my call sign first, then his. I enter my
call sign in the log without even thinking about it, so then I have
to go back and delete it. I't usually new folks, so I try to be
understanding.

But I don't want to get too spun up about it, like the fellow I
worked once below.......

I listened to an OP browbeat another on the air because he said
"Please copy"... then gave the exchange. The offended Op than told
him that he was wasting time, and sounded like a" G-D idiot," then
further admonished him to "Just give the stupid exchange dummy!"

I worked the offended Op  next, and Gave him a big "pleeeeze copy"
and thanked him very, very much for working me in the contest.  Maybe
he got the point.

It's pretty hard to control what other people do.

-73 de Mike N3LI -