Re: [CQ-Contest] RTTY Reflections

To: <steve.root@culligan4water.com>, <K5NZ@aol.com>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] RTTY Reflections
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 14:34:28 -0500
> What's with all the CR/LF stuff? I need to see your
> section before you scroll it off my screen.
> What's with the LDC's (long delayed responses)? Some guys
> wait 15 or 20 seconds before answering your CQ. Why?

I think what computer programmers need to do is have a
"signal lost" indicator on the screen. RTTY is not like
normal modes (sorry, the Devil made me say that) in that the
operator often cannot hear the signal drop. The receiving op
watches the screen and then has to figure out what is
garbage from noise and what is something being sent.

He also might be typing.

My daddy always used to say "don't pee before your water
comes boy".  I think that applies to repeat transmissions
and not waiting long enough for replies. That's true on CW,
but especially true on a mode that you can't easily hear or
see the transmitting signal drop.