Re: [CQ-Contest] Expansion of Skimmer Subject

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Expansion of Skimmer Subject
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 11:06:43 +0000
> It would be easy for the rules' makers to look at the
> technology available today, incorporate Skimmer,
> for example, into the assisted category and go on.

So address this to them and get a binding decision... unless you are afraid
that the decision may not go your way?

> I think in every class of operation for CW Contests
> there must also be consideration of a much
> larger scope of technology - total automation.

How about ssb, rtty, and sstv contests also?  Lets not leave those out.

> I know how I feel about the following scenario and what
> rule I would put in place.   How do you feel about it?
>
> Scenario:
>
> The single operator station has several rigs.
> Mulit-operator has several per band
> The station can be set up so one of them is
> transmitting at all times or one per band for
> Multi-Multi.   So far so good.  Many people are
> able to do this now.
>
> How do we feel about an automated system with the computers
> making and logging the contacts with the operator never
> actually never hearing the stations that are logged?

I was doing this last night, running 100/hr in bartg contest without
listening to the signals.

> How will you like to hear a pileup of stations calling at 150 WPM
> or more and automated stations working each other at that rate.

A bit fast for me, 60wpm is enough.

> How about multiple transceivers scanning  the bands stopping
> on stations found, reading what they are sending with a
> code reader, and then making and logging the contact for you?

Funny, I was scanning a second band and decoding it on the screen while
running... qso's only a keystroke away.

> I'm hoping for a logical ruling regarding Skimmer but also
> to address full automation in CW Contesting.

Remember, don't leave out the other modes!

> The only way I can think of to prevent full automation in
> CW Contesting is to have a rule against using a computer
> or machine to copy code.  I know this is going to upset
> some people. Sorry but, in my opinion, the day a station
> wins a CW Contest and the operator listed cannot copy
> CW is the day CW Contesting will be ruined.   .

I hate copying cw, it gives me a headache after a very short time so I can't
do cw s/o for more than an hour or so at a time.  with skimmer doing some of
the work I was able to keep at it much longer, is this a bad thing?

> Yes, technology moves forward.  All of it is
> interesting.  The question is where the line is drawn
> so that contesting remains a fun thing to do.

Its more fun for me with skimmer than without!

> There are many modes and many contests running in
> each mode over the course of a year.  The RTTY
> mode is one where the only way you can operate is to
> have a machine copy what is being sent.  It would
> seem that full automation in RTTY would be a more
> logical step than full automation in CW.

How about ssb also.  I hate pileups on 20m ssb, it would be great to have an
ssb skimmer copy those also!

> It is good to see a few additional people who actually work
> contests express their views.

You want to discourage skimmers, abandon your keyboards, break out your hand
key, your sideswipers, and old vibroplexes, put a real swing in your cw and
see how many of them call you.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net