Re: [CQ-Contest] Expansion of Skimmer Subject

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Expansion of Skimmer Subject
From: "Shelby Summerville" <k4ww@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 08:03:54 -0400
Stan Stockton wrote: "The only way I can think of to prevent full automation
in
CW Contesting is to have a rule against using a computer or machine to copy
code."

Even though I don't really "have a dog in this fight", I wonder, especially
all of those that "moan the blues" about the Sunday afternoon "boredom",
would not welcome a CW contact, from any station that was "using a machine
to copy" CW? How would you know? Would you care? It should be obvious that
if they are providing that "extra contact", that they are the "casual"
participants, that are very important? I don't consider my CW copy to be at
"contest speed", and I really don't care how anyone is copying me, just as
long as they are copying, and giving me a contact. Personally, I consider CW
as a "second language", and one that I'm not very fluent. I'm also sure that
most "realistic" CW operators know that, in the future, due to the
relaxation of CW as a requirement for licensing, it will most likely
disappear? Maybe not in our lifetime?

C'Ya, Shelby - K4WW