Re: [CQ-Contest] cqww cw spotting report

To: Michael Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] cqww cw spotting report
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 11:04:01 -0700
I realize your proposal is well-intentioned, but I just have to speak up
here.  Not only do I think it is extremely unworkable due to it's
complexity and bureaucratic nature, I think it would be prone to far
more abuse than individual hams who speak up with evidence of cheating.
A whistle-blowing individual would be subject to public scrutiny himself
(as Dave has been) and either supported (as Dave has predominantly been)
or refuted, but an organized and even paid group of contest cops is
almost guaranteed to develop Inquisition-like tendencies.  It is,
unfortunately, human nature and it happens all the time ... homeowners'
associations anyone??

When individual hams voluntarily step forward and discuss bad behavior,
that's democracy.  When hams cede that responsibility and authority to a
select group (other than the contest organizers), that's fascism.  We
don't need a police department to address cheating ... we just need
contesters who stop looking the other way when they know something is wrong.

73,
Dave   AB7E