Re: [CQ-Contest] The dupes?

To: "Jukka Klemola" <jukka.klemola@elisanet.fi>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The dupes?
From: "Tom Haavisto" <kamham69@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 13:29:44 -0500
In a few cases, people have sent me a QSO B4 message when I have been
running S&P.  The whole reason I am calling is that you are not in
*my* log.  So - you will loose points for the busted QSO (no penalty
to me), and you also loose points by not working me again.

By leaving both QSOs in your log, you do not get a penalty.  The log
checking software will find the first QSO, and not find a match in my
log.  It will find the second QSO in your log AND my log.  It throws
the first one away - no penalty to you, and you get credit for a valid
QSO.

What happens if I am in your log for the first QSO (good for you), and
I busted your call?  I get a penalty for the busted call, and I get
points for the second (valid) QSO.  Hence the request from contest
sponsors that you leave all the calls in your log.  No penalty to you,
and helps them see what happened if I end up with a busted call in my
log.

In the past, when we used paper log, there was a penalty for leaving
dupes in your log.  With computer logging, this is not the case.

This is why most people now just work dupes - no penalty, and it is
just as fast as sending a QSO B4, and me trying to convince you that
you are not in my log.

Tom - VE3CX