Re: [CQ-Contest] The dupes?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The dupes?
From: Dale Putnam <daleputnam@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 20:50:18 -0700
There is one other opinion that needs to be considered by some. First consider
that I am a representative from a low population state, and if I have been
running, which is somewhat difficult at best, from a small station, one that
most haven't heard of, I'd guess, then getting shoved off freq. I turn to S&P.
Now.. I call someone.. that I have checked my log.... and the call is not
there. I get an abrupt QB4 and a blast of cq test.  One the one hand, do I
really need to spend the time to attempt to make the second request to pleasure
him with a Q? The addition of his Q in my log makes very little difference. In
SS, I would venture that it just might have some impact on his log, especially
if his call or anything close is not in my log. If he worked me while I was
making a Q with someone else, the chance of a call even close to his, anywhere
near the same time is pretty slim. Will it make any real difference to me? Not
likely. will it to him? Maybe.
How many Wyoming stations did you work in SS? In the waning hours of the test,
it is somewhat reasonable to work a number of stations that think they just
have to have an insurance contact. And I don't find that a real problem. In my
situation, sometimes it is rather nice to insure that there is a Q, in the log
from the somewhat slim populated states. On the other hand, I could hand out a
whole lotta QB4 along with a pretty fair truck load of ill will... to any and
all, newcomers, WAS hopefuls, or expierienced folks that are now working on
6BWAS, and to what good?
  So... fast or slow, smiling and having fun, is the name of the game, and
enjoying the moment, victory or not... is where it is. But.. if it has to be,
win at all costs... so be it. Go for it. Run 'em hard, and put 'em away wet.
But while you're driving so hard, consider one itsy thing, competition is real,
and competition is fun, yet in the process, if we run 'em all away.. the
competition loses... a whole lot.
  oh.. and hope that there is another contester moving here, that will
tolerate.....--... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy