Re: [CQ-Contest] anti-contest petition MMSN

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] anti-contest petition MMSN
From: Bill Haddon <haddon.bill@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 22:09:37 -0800
RE MMRS Petition:

I have a different perspective.

For the last 17 years my family has spent Thanksgiving with members and
friends of two major sailing clubs in the SF Bay area (we are not sailers,
however).  A  wide variety of people have attended these gatherings, which
are usually 20-25 people.  Without exception, members of the sailing
community have high regard for ham radio because of the services provided by
MMSN.

It may be useful to look at the compilation of reported incidents at:

http://www.mmsn.org/recent_events.htm

MMRN is asking for about 5 or 6 KHz, a very small percentage of the 20m
phone band.   It doesn't seem unreasonable to me particularly after reading
the list of incidents that the group has dealt with.  These stories are
similar to those I've heard from attendees at our Thanksgiving group.

73 Bill n6zfo