Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL Rookie Contest

To: "CQ-Contest Reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL Rookie Contest
From: "Ward Silver" <hwardsil@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 11:18:05 -0600
> If we want to get rookies into contesting, we need to keep it as simple as
> possible.

You might want to consult the potential rookies on this.  To them, the Web is
what they consider "as simple as possible" - not all this logging and exporting
and emailing.

Talking to our Web-savvy potential replacements, they simply can not believe
that we engage in exciting, worldwide competitions and then have to send in a
log and wait for months before the results are available.  The typical response
I get on this topic is an emphatic "Lame!" and their interest turns off like a
light switch.

This is not hard. Read the rules carefully - there are three ways to play:
1) Get a free copy of N1MM logger with the built-in software interface for the
contest
2) Download your own free copy of a simple contest logging program for
Windows-based machines
3) Open up a browser window to the getscores.org site and log on-line (this is
the 21st century version of paper and pencil)

Don't have broadband? I believe the software developer(s) are building in
enough buffering for you to log off-line in N1MM and then run the dial-up
connection for a few minutes and dump in your QSOs either during the contest or
at its conclusions.  There will be ten minutes after the contest to finish up
and submit all pending QSOs.

Why not implement this for existing contests?  Too much infrastructure already
out there.  This was a golden opportunity to both create a contest more in tune
with the needs and abilities of new hams and at the same time open up
radiosport to real-time logging and scoring.

There are literally millions of people all over the world engaging in
real-time, on-line competitions 24/7/365.  That's the way people do things now.
 We need to get with the program and take advantage of the technology while
preserving the key elements of radio contesting.

73, Ward N0AX