Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL Rookie Contest

To: Bruce Horn <bhorn@hornucopia.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL Rookie Contest
From: Jack Brindle <jackbrindle@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 09:57:46 -0800
Bruce;

On Feb 12, 2010, at 5:23 AM, Bruce Horn wrote:

> I haven't read the announcement in the March QST of this contest,
> but the rules for the contest are posted at:
> http://www.arrl.org/contests/rules/2010/rr.html
>
> There is no mention of "real-time" logging in the rules. Logs, only
> in Cabrillo format, are due 48 hours after the end of the contest.
> It appears to be a contest designed to encourage newcomers to
> contesting. "Rookies" (licensed within the past 3 years) can work
> anyone, but non-rookies can only work rookies.

Yes there are. The rules indicate that the deadline is 10 minutes
after the contest. The on-line rules at
http://www.arrl.org/contests/rules/2010/rr.html
,  Section 8 clearly states: "Submission: All contacts must be
submitted to the Rookie Roundup online scoring server during the
contest or within ten minutes of the contest’s conclusion."

That also makes it clear that on-line or "real-time" logging is the
norm.

Very interesting concepts, and definitely welcome for newcomers. Many
of us have very fond memories of our participation in the Novice
Roundup. I'd like the rules to be consistent - it appears that there
is disagreement between Contest Committee members and what is actually
in the rules at this point.

Whatever we can do to help bring new contesters into the hobby is very
good. Let us know how we can help!

Jack Brindle, W6FB